Search Site
Personal Injury FAQs

Personal Injury FAQs

Q: What is the difference between Limited Tort and Full Tort in Pennsylvania Auto Law?

Pennsylvania law allows for auto insurance companies to offer drivers two options for car insurance, limited tort (with a lower premium, and limited coverage) or full tort (with higher premiums, but without restrictions on recovery). The main difference is that if you waive your full tort rights and option for limited tort coverage, if you are hit by another driver, and they are at fault for the accident, you are limited to filing suit against the party for your medical costs, your lost wages, and your property damage, but not for pain and suffering. With full tort, you are fully covered, and we can help you recover against the other driver for your pain and suffering in addition to your medical costs, property damage, and lost wages.
Back to the top

Q: What are the exceptions to limited tort coverage that may allow me to recover for pain and suffering against a driver who hit me?

Even if you have selected the limited tort option on your auto insurance policy, we may be able to help you recover for pain and suffering. The law allows for several exceptions to this clause, including if you are hit by an out of state driver, if you are hit by a commercial or work vehicle, if your injuries are considered severe, if you were a pedestrian or cyclist struck by a vehicle, or if you were hit by someone driving under the influence.
Back to the top

Q: I was in a car accident, what should I do?

First, call the police and, if you or anyone involved suffered injuries, emergency services. Next, if you are able, take photos of both vehicles. Then, try to get the vehicles out of the main line of traffic if you are able, and exchange insurance information. When the police arrive, fill out a police report, and seek any medical treatment you need. Then, contact an attorney to discuss the details of your accident and whether or not you may have a claim against the other driver for their negligence.
Back to the top

Q: Should I give a recorded statement to an insurance company adjuster?

It is often better to allow your attorneys to communicate directly with the insurance companies on your behalf, and answer questions asked in writing. Keep in mind that anytime you speak with a representative at your insurance company, or a third party’s insurance company, the call is likely being recorded, and in the state of Pennsylvania, entities are required to notify you that the call is being recorded.
Back to the top

Contact us

Please fill out the form below and one of our attorneys will contact you.

Quick Contact Form

Client Testimonials
  • "I had a slip and fall in a grocery store and injured my shoulder to the point of needing surgery to repair. The Law Firm made contact with them to make restitution on my behalf. After going back and forth… they awarded me a settlement for my pain and medical bills. The [Firm] were super easy to work with and I would definitely… use them again. I was and am very satisfied with the end result. THANK YOU!"  -Bob S.

  • "When I got hurt at work I didn’t know what I was going to do being a single mom of three. It was very scary and only weeks before Christmas to boot. I was referred to the Pagano Law Firm by my mom and it was the best decision. The Firm took me under their wing and assured me everything would be okay. They handled everything and kept me posted along the way. I am so happy to be back on my feet in more ways than one… my case was handled with such care and the end result was more than I expected. I would recommend the Pagano Law Firm to everyone I know!"  -Jill

  • "We reached out to the Pagano Law Firm after a serious car accident. At the time it was not clear the extent of the injuries and what it would take to make us whole. The Pagano Law Firm attorneys were diligent in the handling of the case and advocated for us not just as clients but as friends. They were considerate and professional throughout the two years it took to bring the case to a close. Ultimately, we were successful in reaching a resolution that surpassed our expectations. We are very grateful to Marlo… and would recommend the firm for any legal concerns."  -M.V.

  • "Excellent. Awesome – very efficient. Thanks for everything."  -J.H.

  • "The Pagano Law Firm put our minds at ease in a difficult situation for us. They made us feel like family & were there with answers to any questions. They made our experience in a difficult situation a good one. Very thankful for the Pagano Law Firm and everyone there. Highly Recommend."  -Richard R.

  • "he Pagano Law Firm was so understanding and supportive in helping with our unexpected situation. We were so grateful to be working with such caring, supportive people. Thank you for all your help and support."  -M.R.

Our Office
  • Media Office
    115 West State Street
    Suite 401
    Media, Pennsylvania 19063
    Phone: 484-442-8750
    Fax: 484-442-8742
Awards & Affiliations