Search Site

Can my Child’s School Suspend him for Posting on Facebook?

Back on October 23, 2013, a Central York High School student posted a remark on Facebook after a bomb threat had forced the school to evacuate. His post, “Plot twist, bomb isn’t found and goes off tomorrow,” was seen as enough of a threat by the school’s administrators that the district’s superintendent questioned the student on his ability to make a bomb, and later suspended the student for 10 days.

The family of the student (identified only as R.L.), sued the district, claiming that the suspension was a direct violation of R.L.’s first amendment right to free speech. They pointed to the 1969 decision from the U.S. Supreme Court in Tinker v. Des Moines Independent Community School District, which ruled that students do not “shed their constitutional rights to freedom of speech…at the schoolhouse gate.”

However, the presiding U.S. District Court Judge, John E. Jones III, ruled earlier this week that simply because the students do not give up their rights to freedom of speech, it does not preclude punishment in all cases. Judge Jones also stated in his opinion on the matter that case law is still very-much evolving on these kinds of issues, with the introduction of the internet and social media intermingling with our everyday lives. Another question that arose from this case was whether comments on the Internet actually constitute off-campus speech.

Jones reasoned that if a school’s administrators believed a comment constituted a reasonable threat to its students and might lead to fear and a disruption of the school day, the administrators ought to be able to address it.

As case law like this continues to develop, it could mean your child’s Internet speech may spell trouble for them at school. One thing is clear: the Internet can cause new challenges both for schools, your child, and you as a parent. Between online bullying and comments that can be construed by others as threatening or endangering classmates, it’s never been more important to monitor your child’s online activity.

If you have any questions about your rights and the rights of your children, contact one of our experienced attorneys to set up a free consultation.

Contact us

Please fill out the form below and one of our attorneys will contact you.

Quick Contact Form

Client Testimonials
  • "I had a slip and fall in a grocery store and injured my shoulder to the point of needing surgery to repair. The Law Firm made contact with them to make restitution on my behalf. After going back and forth… they awarded me a settlement for my pain and medical bills. The [Firm] were super easy to work with and I would definitely… use them again. I was and am very satisfied with the end result. THANK YOU!"  -Bob S.

  • "When I got hurt at work I didn’t know what I was going to do being a single mom of three. It was very scary and only weeks before Christmas to boot. I was referred to the Pagano Law Firm by my mom and it was the best decision. The Firm took me under their wing and assured me everything would be okay. They handled everything and kept me posted along the way. I am so happy to be back on my feet in more ways than one… my case was handled with such care and the end result was more than I expected. I would recommend the Pagano Law Firm to everyone I know!"  -Jill

  • "We reached out to the Pagano Law Firm after a serious car accident. At the time it was not clear the extent of the injuries and what it would take to make us whole. The Pagano Law Firm attorneys were diligent in the handling of the case and advocated for us not just as clients but as friends. They were considerate and professional throughout the two years it took to bring the case to a close. Ultimately, we were successful in reaching a resolution that surpassed our expectations. We are very grateful to Marlo… and would recommend the firm for any legal concerns."  -M.V.

  • "Excellent. Awesome – very efficient. Thanks for everything."  -J.H.

  • "The Pagano Law Firm put our minds at ease in a difficult situation for us. They made us feel like family & were there with answers to any questions. They made our experience in a difficult situation a good one. Very thankful for the Pagano Law Firm and everyone there. Highly Recommend."  -Richard R.

  • "he Pagano Law Firm was so understanding and supportive in helping with our unexpected situation. We were so grateful to be working with such caring, supportive people. Thank you for all your help and support."  -M.R.

Our Office
  • Media Office
    115 West State Street
    Suite 401
    Media, Pennsylvania 19063
    Phone: 484-442-8750
    Fax: 484-442-8742
Awards & Affiliations